Sunday, July 6, 2014

How Safe Are The Marshall Islands?


It is very safe in the Marshall Islands. The crime rate is very low. Petty theft, if you leave something behind, and vandalism are the most common. At first, I would be a little nervous when walking and approaching a group of people starring at me. Then they would always say Yokwe or Hello. Most are intrigued because we look different. As I have shared, most Marshallese are very accepting and friendly. Although, when the islands were a U.S Territory, we did a lot of nuclear testing here which has given some Marshallese life long diseases and burns, so some are not so excited about Americans. The U.S didn't know then the destruction the testing would cause and do support the islands financially today. We still have a military base on one of the islands - Kwajalein. I see F-16's fly by almost every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment